The teller of a mirthful tale has latitude allowed him. We are content with less than absolute truth.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- My motto is: Contented with little, yet wishing for more.
- Why are we never quite at ease in the presence of a schoolmaster? Because we are conscious that he is not quite at his ease in ours. He is awkward, and out of place in the society of his equals. He comes like Gulliver from among his little people, and he cannot fit the stature of his understanding to yours.
- How a sickness enlarges the dimensions of a man’s self to himself! He is his own exclusive object. Supreme selfishness is inculcated in him as his only duty,
- In everything that relates to science, I am a whole Encyclopaedia behind the rest of the world.
- A pun is not bound by the laws which limit nicer wit. It is a pistol let off at the ear; not a feather to tickle the intellect.
- A laugh is worth a hundred groans in any market.