The teller of a mirthful tale has latitude allowed him. We are content with less than absolute truth.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- My motto is: Contented with little, yet wishing for more.
- How a sickness enlarges the dimensions of a man’s self to himself! He is his own exclusive object. Supreme selfishness is inculcated in him as his only duty,
- The man must have a rare recipe for melancholy, who can be dull in Fleet Street.
- Man is a gaming animal. He must always be trying to get the better in something or other.
- A pun is not bound by the laws which limit nicer wit. It is a pistol let off at the ear; not a feather to tickle the intellect.
- When I consider how little of a rarity children are — that every street and blind alley swarms with them — that the poorest people commonly have them in most abundance — that there are few marriages that are not blest with at least one of these bargains — how often they turn out ill, and defeat the fond hopes of their parents, taking to vicious courses, which end in poverty, disgrace, the gallows, etc. — I cannot for my life tell what cause for pride there can possibly be in having them.