There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- There is nothing more likely to drive a man mad, than the being unable to get rid of the idea of the distinction between right and wrong, and an obstinate, constitutional preference of the true to the agreeable.
- Fame is the inheritance not of the dead, but of the living. It is we who look back with lofty pride to the great names of antiquity.
- An honest man speaks the truth, though it may give offence; a vain man, in order that it may.
- Poetry is the universal language which the heart holds with nature and itself. He who has a contempt for poetry, cannot have much respect for himself, or for anything else.
- We must overact our part in some measure, in order to produce any effect at all.
- I hate to be near the sea, and to hear it roaring and raging like a wild beast in its den. It puts me in mind of the everlasting efforts of the human mind, struggling to be free, and ending just where it began.