There is no week nor day nor hour when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their roughness and spirit of defiance.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Have you heard that it was good to gain the day? I also say it is good to fall, battles are lost in the same spirit in which they are won.
- To me every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle.
- The city sleeps and the country sleeps, the living sleep for their time, the dead sleep for their time, the old husband sleeps by his wife and the young husband sleeps by his wife; and these tend inward to me, and I tend outward to them, and such as it is to be of these more or less I am, and of these one and all I weave the song of myself.
- The genius of the United States is not best or most in its executives or legislatures, nor in its ambassadors or authors or colleges, or churches, or parlors, nor even in its newspapers or inventors, but always most in the common people.
- Our leading men are not of much account and never have been, but the average of the people is immense, beyond all history. Sometimes I think in all departments, literature and art included, that will be the way our superiority will exhibit itself. We will not have great individuals or great leaders, but a great average bulk, unprecedentedly great.
- Other lands have their vitality in a few, a class, but we have it in the bulk of our people.