Wit is the epitaph of an emotion.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- We find nothing easier than being wise, patient, superior. We drip with the oil of forbearance and sympathy, we are absurdly just, we forgive everything. For that very reason we ought to discipline ourselves a little; for that very reason we ought to cultivate a little emotion, a little emotional vice, from time to time. It may be hard for us; and among ourselves we may perhaps laugh at the appearance we thus present. But what of that! We no longer have any other mode of self-overcoming available to us: this is our asceticism, our penance.
- Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood.
- If a woman possesses manly virtues one should run away from her; and if she does not possess them she runs away from herself.
- Women are considered deep — why? Because one can never discover any bottom to them. Women are not even shallow.
- The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper.
- Does wisdom perhaps appear on the earth as a raven which is inspired by the smell of carrion?