The right word may be effective, but no word was ever as effective as a rightly timed pause.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- The Pause; that impressive silence, that eloquent silence, that geometrically progressive silence which often achieves a desired effect where no combination of words, however so felicitous, could accomplish it.
- There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy’s life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.
- To arrive at a just estimate of a renowned man’s character one must judge it by the standards of his time, not ours.
- I am admonished in many ways that time is pushing me inexorably along. I am approaching the threshold of age; in 1977 I shall be 142. This is no time to be flitting about the earth. I must cease from the activities proper to youth and begin to take on the dignities and gravities and inertia proper to that season of honorable senility which is on its way.
- Truth is neither alive nor dead; it just aggravates itself all the time.
- You can’t pray a lie.