The right word may be effective, but no word was ever as effective as a rightly timed pause.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- An average English word is four letters and a half. By hard, honest labor I’ve dug all the large words out of my vocabulary and shaved it down till the average is three and a half… I never write metropolis for seven cents, because I can get the same money for city. I never write policeman, because I can get the same price for cop…. I never write valetudinarian at all, for not even hunger and wretchedness can humble me to the point where I will do a word like that for seven cents; I wouldn’t do it for fifteen.
- The Pause; that impressive silence, that eloquent silence, that geometrically progressive silence which often achieves a desired effect where no combination of words, however so felicitous, could accomplish it.
- To arrive at a just estimate of a renowned man’s character one must judge it by the standards of his time, not ours.
- To cease smoking is the easiest thing I ever did, I ought to know because I’ve done it a thousand times.
- There is nothing you can say in answer to a compliment. I have been complimented myself a great many times, and they always embarrass me –I always feel that they have not said enough.
- There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy’s life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.