The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Writing, at its best, is a lonely life. Organizations for writers palliate the writer’s loneliness, but I doubt if they improve his writing. He grows in public stature as he sheds his loneliness and often his work deteriorates. For he does his work alone and if he is a good enough writer he must face eternity, or the lack of it, each day.
- The most essential gift for a good writer is a built-in, shock-proof, shit detector. This is the writer’s radar and all great writers have had it.
- A serious writer is not to be confounded with a solemn writer. A serious writer may be a hawk or a buzzard or even a popinjay, but a solemn writer is always a bloody owl.
- I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can.
- There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
- They can’t yank a novelist like they can a pitcher. A novelist has to go the full nine, even if it kills him.