It is better to suffer wrong than to do it, and happier to be sometimes cheated than not to trust.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Tomorrow is an old deceiver, and his cheat never grows stale.
- The vanity of being known to be trusted with a secret is generally one of the chief motives to disclose it.
- He that pursues fame with just claims, trusts his happiness to the winds; but he that endeavors after it by false merit, has to fear, not only the violence of the storm, but the leaks of his vessel.
- I know not, Madam, that you have a right, upon moral principles, to make your readers suffer so much.
- When any calamity has been suffered, the first thing to be remembered is how much has been escaped.
- Fear is implanted in us as a preservative from evil; but its duty, like that of other passions, is not to overbear reason, but to assist it. It should not be suffered to tyrannize