Reading is a basic tool in the living of a good life.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- In the case of good books, the point is not how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you.
- The purpose of learning is growth, and our minds, unlike our bodies, can continue growing as we continue to live.
- Habits are formed by the repetition of particular acts. They are strengthened by an increase in the number of repeated acts. Habits are also weakened or broken, and contrary habits are formed by the repetition of contrary acts.
- Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men.
- In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish.
- The unread story is not a story; it is little black marks on wood pulp. The reader, reading it, makes it live: a live thing, a story.