After all manner of professors have done their best for us, the place we are to get knowledge is in books. The true university of these days is a collection of books.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- What we become depends on what we read after all the professors have finished with us. The greatest university of all is the collection of books.
- The true university of these days is a collection of books.
- If a book comes from the heart it will contrive to reach other hearts. All art and author craft are of small account to that.
- The best effect of any book, is that it excites the reader to self-activity.
- We were wise indeed, could we discern truly the signs of our own time; and by knowledge of its wants and advantages, wisely adjust our own position in it. Let us, instead of gazing idly into the obscure distance, look calmly around us, for a little, on the perplexed scene where we stand. Perhaps, on a more serious inspection, something of its perplexity will disappear, some of its distinctive characters and deeper tendencies more clearly reveal themselves; whereby our own relations to it, our own true aims and endeavors in it, may also become clearer.
- No good book or good thing of any kind shows it best face at first. No the most common quality of in a true work of art that has excellence and depth, is that at first sight it produces a certain disappointment.