Our high respect for a well read person is praise enough for literature.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- If we encounter a man of rare intellect, we should ask him what books he reads.
- We are too civil to books. For a few golden sentences we will turn over and actually read a volume of four or five hundred pages.
- Never read any book that is not a year old.
- There is creative reading as well as creative writing.
- Books are the best of things if well used; if abused, among the worst. They are good for nothing but to inspire. I had better never see a book than be warped by its attraction clean out of my own orbit, and made a satellite instead of a system.
- ‘Tis the good reader that makes the good book; in every book he finds passages which seem to be confidences or sides hidden from all else and unmistakably meant for his ear; the profit of books is according to the sensibility of the reader; the profound thought or passion sleeps as in a mine, until it is discovered by an equal mind and heart.