There is creative reading as well as creative writing.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- We are too civil to books. For a few golden sentences we will turn over and actually read a volume of four or five hundred pages.
- Our high respect for a well read person is praise enough for literature.
- Never read any book that is not a year old.
- If we encounter a man of rare intellect, we should ask him what books he reads.
- There is then creative reading as well as creative writing. When the mind is braced by labor and invention, the page of whatever book we read becomes luminous with manifold allusion. Every sentence is doubly significant, and the sense of our author is as broad as the world.
- Some books leave us free and some books make us free.