One always tends to overpraise a long book, because one has got through it.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- I suggest that the only books that influence us are those for which we are ready, and which have gone a little further down our particular path than we have yet got ourselves.
- The only books that influence us are those for which we are ready, and which have gone a little farther down our particular path than we have yet got ourselves.
- At night, when the curtains are drawn and the fire flickers, my books attain a collective dignity.
- As long as learning is connected with earning, as long as certain jobs can only be reached through exams, so long must we take this examination system seriously. If another ladder to employment was contrived, much so-called education would disappear, and no one would be a penny the stupider.
- Spoon feeding in the long run teaches us nothing but the shape of the spoon.
- Tolerance is a very dull virtue. It is boring. Unlike love, it has always had a bad press. It is negative. It merely means putting up with people, being able to stand things.