In the sphere of thought, absurdity and perversity remain the masters of the world, and their dominion is suspended only for brief periods.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Natural abilities can almost compensate for the want of every kind of cultivation, but no cultivation of the mind can make up for the want of natural abilities.
- In action a great heart is the chief qualification. In work, a great head.
- There is no doubt that life is given us, not to be enjoyed, but to be overcome –to be got over.
- The closing years of life are like the end of a masquerade party, when the masks are dropped.
- A man’s delight in looking forward to and hoping for some particular satisfaction is a part of the pleasure flowing out of it, enjoyed in advance. But this is afterward deducted, for the more we look forward to anything the less we enjoy it when it comes.
- The brain may be regarded as a kind of parasite of the organism, a pensioner, as it were, who dwells with the body.