In Switzerland they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- I rather think the cinema will die. Look at the energy being exerted to revive it — yesterday it was color, today three dimensions. I don’t give it forty years more. Witness the decline of conversation. Only the Irish have remained incomparable conversationalists, maybe because technical progress has passed them by.
- We’re born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we’re not alone.
- If there hadn’t been women we’d still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys.
- I want to give the audience a hint of a scene. No more than that. Give them too much and they won’t contribute anything themselves. Give them just a suggestion and you get them working with you. That’s what gives the theater meaning: when it becomes a social act.
- I hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can’t stop eating peanuts.
- Now we sit through Shakespeare in order to recognize the quotations.