She represents the un-vowed aspiration of the male human being, his potential infidelity — and infidelity of a very special kind, which would lead him to the opposite of his wife, to the woman of wax whom he could model at will, make and unmake in any way he wished, even unto death.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Acting doesn’t bring anything to a text. On the contrary, it detracts from it.
- No other human being, no woman, no poem or music, book or painting can replace alcohol in its power to give man the illusion of real creation.
- A house means a family house, a place specially meant for putting children and men in so as to restrict their waywardness and distract them from the longing for adventure and escape they’ve had since time began.
- The thing that’s between us is fascination, and the fascination resides in our being alike. Whether you’re a man or a woman, the fascination resides in finding out that we’re alike.
- For that’s what a woman, a mother wants — to teach her children to take an interest in life. She knows it’s safer for them to be interested in other people’s happiness than to believe in their own.
- The woman is the home. That’s where she used to be, and that’s where she still is. You might ask me, What if a man tries to be part of the home — will the woman let him? I answer yes. Because then he becomes one of the children.