I have spent more than half a lifetime trying to express the tragic moment.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Do not the most moving moments of our lives find us all without words?
- If you give an audience a chance they will do half your acting for you.
- The mere mechanical technique of acting can be taught, but the spirit that is to give life to lifeless forms must be born in a man. No dramatic college can teach its pupils to think or to feel. It is Nature who makes our artists for us, though it may be Art who taught them their right mode of expression.
- Acting is the expression of a neurotic impulse. It’s a bum’s life. The principal benefit acting has afforded me is the money to pay for my psychoanalysis.
- A true priest is aware of the presence of the altar during every moment that he is conducting a service. It is exactly the same way that a true artist should react to the stage all the time he is in the theater. An actor who is incapable of this feeling will never be a true artist.
- Acting is not being emotional, but being able to express emotion.