The great end of life is not knowledge but action.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- Every great advance in natural knowledge has involved the absolute rejection of authority.
- If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who has so much as to be out of danger?
- The medieval university looked backwards; it professed to be a storehouse of old knowledge. The modern university looks forward, and is a factory of new knowledge.
- There is no alleviation for the sufferings of mankind except veracity of thought and of action, and the resolute facing of the world as it is when the garment of make-believe by which pious hands have hidden its uglier features is stripped off.
- It is the fate of new truths to begin as heresies and end and superstitions.
- The great tragedy of science is the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact.