If there is technological advance without social advance, there is, almost automatically, an increase in human misery, in impoverishment.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE »
- That the poor are invisible is one of the most important things about them. They are not simply neglected and forgotten as in the old rhetoric of reform; what is much worse, they are not seen.
- Clothes make the poor invisible. America has the best-dressed poverty the world has ever known.
- Technology has advanced more in the last thirty years than in the previous two thousand. The exponential increase in advancement will only continue. Anthropological Commentary The opposite of a trivial truth is false; the opposite of a great truth is also true.
- Science and technology multiply around us. To an increasing extent they dictate the languages in which we speak and think. Either we use those languages, or we remain mute.
- We must learn to balance the material wonders of technology with the spiritual demands of our human race.
- If we had a reliable way to label our toys good and bad, it would be easy to regulate technology wisely. But we can rarely see far enough ahead to know which road leads to damnation. Whoever concerns himself with big technology, either to push it forward or to stop it, is gambling in human lives.